Thursday, December 10, 2009

42 minutes, that’s all they get for gym??


When I was at the age of most of the students I have been observing, I couldn’t wait for gym. Although my experience was somewhat different, I always felt it was an easy subject, because it was fun to get outside and play all these different sports. Now I know there’s a reason as to why Gym is 42 minutes long, but it seems as if it’s not going to stop there. Is gym not considered to be an important area anymore? Almost a third of America’s children are obese. I know gym class alone cannot reverse this epidemic, but it’s probably many students only real time when their heart rate is above resting.

42 minutes flies by, before you know it, you’re back indoors and the next class is in. Every new class has to get changed and then sit in their groups and wait for them to be check in for attendance, and then wait for any announcements to be made. After all is said and done, as a teacher you’d be lucky to get in 30 minutes of activity. I know other subject areas get cut back too, but at what point will it stop. Is 35 minutes enough to get students to learn? Maybe we are overloading them now with 42 minutes?

No comments:

Post a Comment